Physical & Mental Health
Goals of the Dimension:
- All pregnant women have access to early and continuous comprehensive prenatal care that includes medical care and social supports.
- All women of reproductive age have a medical home.
- All children have a medical home.
- All children have early and periodic comprehensive screening for issues that affect their physical, cognitive and social and emotional growth and development, followed by comprehensive assessment and treatment where indicated.
- All children 0-5 have access to health care, including mental, behavioral, dental and nutritional care with an emphasis on primary care to avoid development of preventable and chronic health problems.
- All children have health insurance.
Quality Health Care: Why is it Important?
Healthy children arrive at school ready to learn. Classrooms are more productive since kids with access to health care have fewer contagious illnesses. Ultimately, children are better educated and more likely to graduate from high school and go on to college. When families have access to quality heath care, parents can have success in the workplace with less time away from the job. With a better ability to maintain employment, they are able to advance their careers, becoming more financially secure. When children are healthy, our entire community wins.
Did you know? Today, many children in Indian River County are without health insurance, even though many are eligible for coverage through Medicaid or Florida KidCare. Have Questions? Click for answers to health care questions for parents, kids and teens. www.kidshealth.org
Florida KidCare is the state's children's health insurance program for uninsured children under age 19. It includes four different parts, or programs: MediKids, Healthy Kids, Children's Medical Services and Medicaid. When you apply for the insurance, Florida KidCare will check which program your child may be eligible for based on age and family income.
Eligibility and Cost - http://www.floridakidcare.org/eligibility.html
Apply Now - https://www.healthykids.org/apply/
Services covered by Florida KidCare include:
- Doctor visits
- Check-ups and shots
- Hospital stays
- Vision and hearing
- Dental care
- Mental health care
Complete a Whole Child Profile to access appropriate resources for your family!